We recommend using the HappyCow app or website to research vegan-friendly places when travelling; you’ll find listings for vegan, vegetarian and veg-options places including chain cafes and restaurants that offer some vegan options.
Here are some of the places we’ve found:
- All Good Things Vegan: incredibly creative vegan chef Phoenix is based at The Miggi so you can enjoy delicious evening meals, epic afternoon teas, treats, snacks, and handmade gourmet truffles in the comfort of our dining room. Picnic boxes and treats to take home are also available. Check out Phoenix’s Facebook and the info here – please do order in advance as everything is made fresh to order.
- Tam’s Kitchen: vegan café in Winner Street offering vegan fast food and some other meals – often has special events in the bar in the evening. Dog friendly. Our guests get a 10% discount at Tam’s!
- Curious Crumb: vegan and gluten-free cakes and cookies available at regular stalls at the Paignton Harbour market. Eat on the beach or on one of the benches overlooking the harbour. You can also order a treat box to collect or have delivered.
- Sara’s Beach Cafe is on nearby Preston Seafront and does vegan ice cream, lollies, and has soya/oat milk for teas, coffees and lattes. The falafel burger can be made vegan. Seating available and dog-friendly. Seasonal.
- Costero Lounge is on the seafront near the cinema. Part of the Lounge chain, their menu includes several vegan options. Accessible and dog-friendly too.
- Gaia Café: coffee shop in Winner Street, friendly small independent café that roasts its own coffee and hosts various community groups. Good vegan options. Dog-friendly.
- Sebastien’s: Deli and Wholefoods shop on Hyde Road. Veggie and vegan fresh foods, pastries, cakes, to take away or eat on a couple of tables in the shop.
- Waffle Inn: has a vegan menu of both savoury and sweet waffles with ice cream.
- Coffee No 1: part of a small chain, this town centre café has several vegan options. Wheelchair accessible café and toilet. Dog-friendly.
- Shoreline: restaurant on the seafront that backs onto the Vue Cinema and looks out to sea. Offers vegan pizza and dessert. Sadly not accessible for anyone with mobility issues.
- Harbour Light: restaurant built into the harbour wall with views across the water. Has vegan options including banana blossom fish and chips (photo above). Accessible, with lift to upper dining area and terrace. Dogs allowed in bar area.
- The Ship: Five minutes’ walk from The Miggi, on Manor Road, this pub offers reasonably-priced vegan options for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. Wheelchair accessible café and toilet. Dog-friendly.
Cantina at Goodrington: quirky, family-run independent café open daytime and some evenings (check their page for events). Vegan options. Wheelchair-accessible. Dog-friendly. On the North end of Goodrington Beach, where dogs are allowed all year round.
The Guardhouse Café at Berry Head Nature Reserve, surrounded by paths over the Head with views across the bay. Vegan options, wheelchair access and toilets. Dog-friendly.
- The Drum Inn at Cockington, near the country park, water meadow walk, historic village, and craft centre. Vegan options. Wheelchair accessible entrance at the side of the building. Dog-friendly. The cafe at Cockington Court also has a few vegan options.
- The Rock Garden, Torquay town centre. Several affordable vegan options on the menu. Indoor and beer garden seating.
- Visto Lounge branch of the Lounge chain on the seafront in Torquay with a view of the sea. Indoor and outdoor seating area. Wheelchair accessible. Usual range of vegan options.
- Zappa’s: vegan café on the High Street offering a wide range of dishes, pies, bakes, cakes, fresh salads, specials, and hot dishes.
- The Hairy Barista: vegan coffee shop offering toasties, cakes and so on.
- Seeds2: old-fashioned vegetarian buffet cafe with vegan options (check with staff which of the self-serve dishes is vegan).
Heading further afield? Feel free to ask for recommendations!